Tuesday, January 11, 2022

First detection

After many days of capturing data with a receiver in a noisy environment tuned to 20100Khz. I was able to compare another observer's report of solar activity with the data I had recorded. Unfortunately there was no NOAA information to compare this to. The observation was on 01/09/2022 at around 18:18:00 UTC. Below is the observer's report followed by my plot.  I hope to improve the antenna system and see if I can possibly reduce the noise. This is the first of many (I hope) successful observations of the Sun.


Observer's Report


Observation at my QTH

UPDATE:
I have to admit that I did not feel as elated as I had hoped about my first detection. A few things didn't feel right to me. Although I was confirming the observation of a long time and trusted observer I felt that I needed further confirmation from another reliable source. When I checked the NOAA GOES X-Ray data I did not see anything that would indicate an X-ray solar event. I resigned to take the win of first detection 'as-is', no matter how small it might have been.

Last night, I was laying awake in bed. My wife inquired if I was ok. I seemed troubled. I took this as an opportunity to explain to her exactly what I was feeling about this detection. Needless to say she didn't understand a word I was saying. This is nothing new, however one of the many beauties of my wife is that she is a perfect sounding board for me to talk to. 

Shortly after my nocturnal rant, I realized that I never checked the Solar & Geophysical Event Report for that day. Maybe this was no X-ray burst. Sure enough, when I checked the report for that day there was a minor fast drift burst also know as a Type III emission. FINALLY CONFIRMATION!


1130       1818   ////      1824  SAG  C   RSP  025-150   III/1          


I think its evident at this point that I need to learn and read A LOT more to even scratch the surface of "knowing what I am talking about".

I am a little more satisfied with my setup now. I can see minor bursts and hopefully when a Class C X-Ray burst happens there will be no mistaking it.

More to come.....

No comments:

Post a Comment